I can see clearly now the rain is gone.....

Wow! Talk about your first rainy season...and boy was it rainy..like for 4 months constantly.  I felt like our family was doing pretty well in December, January and February..then March hit and it hit hard.  There was so much rain in the mountains all over Peru, that it flooded the lowlands in the city and caused Peru to be in a state of emergency.  People said that nothing like this has happened for over 20 years and we firmly believe God had us here in our village for such a time as this.

During this time..I really felt God teaching me about patience. Around March..I was eager to get a break..go to the city..to be around civilization again..eat yummy food...speak English again with others etc...I could hear God whispering to me..."Ashley..remember why I've brought you hear. My plan is perfect..have patience."  Meanwhile, my family was amazing. They all seemed relaxed and content..while I was trying my best to be patient.  In James it says "But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing."  I took comfort in this verse and in remembering the stories of Abraham wearily waiting for the promised son and Moses..wandering in the desert ..and I confess..during this time..I'm sure I responded much like them trying to do all I could to control the situation..while God was saying, "Wait on me child..I assure you..I am busy on your behalf."

In Psalm 32:9 it warns us, "Do not be like the horse or as the mule," and this is just the warning most of us need in life. The mule is stubborn and has a tendency to hold back. The horse (which is me) is impulsive and want to rush ahead. Its difficult to wait on God. Part of the problem is that we are prone to walk by sight and not by faith. Even though God is busy working behind the scenes, we want to SEE something happening. Yet, the only way we can learn patience is to surrender and let God have His way.

So how has God moved during this rainy season? Well...most of you guys know from facebook about the food shortage that went on ..and God providing during that time so instead, let me address the church-front-the good stuff!! So.., here..we are still learning what method is going to work the best with our village. Our purpose it to pray and to teach the people who they are in relation to Christ and their need for a savior. Once they acknowledge their need for a savior,then we begin teaching them the word and making disciples.  Along the way, we encourage them to share what they have learned with others. As believers grow and the need to organize arises..then we'll do so..and begin a church. As for now..we are sowing seeds of the gospel. We are in the planting stage of our mission here.


Chris has had great interactions with two men especially this rainy season. He worked with a guy named Antonio..taking care of his fish farm and sharing bible stories with him. He also worked with Alejo...moving cows to various fields so they could graze while also sharing bible stories. They have asked many great questions and are continuing to learn truth from Chris. Chris was also able to help Antonio's mother, who is widowed, with many things in her garden, chopping and moving trees, wood, etc... She has been so grateful and continues to gift us with potatoes (we already have like 300 of them haha) .

As for me, I didn't have alot of interactions with the women like usual because they don't like getting out in the rain, and because schools are out (Jan-March is summer here remember;) and they have all of their children to care for at home.  But,,I got stir crazy..so I started praying for friends for the boys..and God brought the village..literally haha! One day, my 2 friends I've shared stories with in the past, showed up with their kids, and then kids just kept coming...and coming.. So, I decided to start and English/Bible class..because..why not? We only had 3 classes..each Monday.. since school finally was able to start..but God was moving because the boys developed relationships with the village kids and now feel right at home going to school here 2 days a week for Spanish. What a perfect plan!

God's plan is always perfect. He is always at work for the good of His people, and He is working in all things (Rom 8:28). He can grow a mushroom overnight, but He will take His time to grow and oak or a giant sequoia.  His delays are not denials. He always has a plan for all He does. He is a good and faithful father. It is hard to be patient and wait on Him..but it is always so worth it in the end. Sometimes, being a missionary..carries the burden of an outcome...supporters..wanting to know..how is it going? How many converts are there now? Have you established a church yet?  But the truth is..God isn't in a hurry like us. We can try to be like the horse and rush things..control things..but God says "Do not be anxious..instead pray" So as we continue to thrive here in our village, we are on our knees each day..moment to moment..asking God whats next.  We love sharing with you our journey 👀and can't wait to see what God has in store for this year.  It'll be 1 year in our village April 28!!


Comments

Popular Posts